I noticed on a friends blog (A DC Birding Blog), his Top 8 Nature Moments of 2008. Following his lead, I thought it would be a good idea to highlight mine. Here are my top nature moments for 2008. Not surprising, the top moments came from our time in Yellowstone National Park.
1. Spooking up a wolf while on a hike in Yellowstone.
2. Grizzly Bears wrestling in Yellowstone.
3. Watching Great-horned Owls mate in Hull's Grove.
4. Watching a Sharp-shinned Hawk in our backyard following a large flock of Pine Siskins.
5. Finding new life birds unexpectedly such as a Northern Goshawk or a Great Gray Owl.
6. Finding Otters after years of searching.
7. Visiting the Idaho Bird Observatory where they band songbirds and hawks.
8. Participating in the U.S. Nightjar Survey even though we didn't find any Nightjars.
I hope for many more in 2009!
"Remember, the mountains will always be there, the trick is for you to be there as well!" - Unknown